Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cancel, I Tell You!

I love OS X. I love Macs in general. I think Apple rock. I don't feel locked into anything with Apple, I feel free, creatively inspired, and happy to work at my MacBook every day. OS X is a brilliant example of an operating system that doesn't get in the way of what you want to do.

But one thing annoys me, and it has done so for years.

Canceling. Aborting. Stopping. Whatever you want to call it, whenever you want to do it, it should happen instantly.

But it doesn't. Take a wifi file tranfser. Click on the 'X' cancel button, and wait. And wait. And wait.

Try to cancel anything while the OS is doing something, and it more often than not takes minutes to get around to stopping. Cancel should mean stop. Right now. Immediately. Stop doing that thing.

And still the OS trundles on, thinking about it just a little longer.

Hopefully this will be addressed in Snow Leopard (along with proper caching of Safari sites, so clicking 'back' doesn't require a reload of the whole goddamned page!!!).

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Hi Mark,

I've just bought my first mac (an MB pro) and its liberating to say the least. I can now do everything I would normally have to use my powerful desktop for and more. I can actually edit HD footage seamlessly and use After effects on a laptop!

OSX is good but I also find a few niggles really frustrating. I run Linux and Win XP in virtualbox as I find blogging on a mac a real chore - MarsEdit just doesn't cut it for me.